Oakland A’s FanFest: 21 Questions
Well folks, it’s that time again.
Serving as the unofficial kickoff for the upcoming season, the Oakland Athletics will be holding their semi-annual FanFest on Saturday, February 8th from 10 a.m- 4 p.m at the Oakland Coliseum and Oracle Arena. With cramping becoming a bit of issue last year, the event will be spread out across both venues helping to minimize foot traffic.
Mandatory Credit: Bob Stanton-USA TODAY Sports
If you’ve never been before, the showcase allows fans access to player autograph and photo sessions, as well as clubhouse and press box tours, and a memorabilia sale to benefit the A’s Community Fund. However, the true highlight of the whole shebang comes in the form of multiple question and answer panels with selected A’s players, coaches, and alumni.
While asking a player a pressing question in front of 10,000 strangers can be a bit jarring, allow me to offer up a bit of a cheat sheet in the event one gets tongue-tied for the 21 active players expected to attend.
1. Yoenis Céspedes (Translation by Ariel Prieto) – Will a second volume of “The Showcase” ever see the light of day?
2. Jesse Chavez – Would you be open to starting again if the Athletics had a need?
3. Ryan Cook – After enduring a rough September, do you change your preparation for 2014?
4. Josh Donaldson – How in the world do you top last season?
5. Sean Doolittle – Any plans to develop a third pitch?
6. Chris Gimenez – As a Gilroy native, how does it feel to join an organization so close to home?
7. Craig Gentry – Can you explain the origins of the phenomenon known as “Kitten Face”?
8. Sonny Gray – After an October breakout, where do you go from here?
9. John Jaso – Following a season-ending concussion, are you open to serving time at designated hitter in 2014?
10. Jim Johnson – Do you have any trepidation taking over for such a celebrated figure as Grant Balfour?
11. Tommy Milone – Any thoughts behind the extreme opposites of your home/road splits?
12. Derek Norris – Any plans to play a little first base this spring to increase your playing time?
13. Eric O’Flaherty – Upon your return for surgery, what role do you see yourself filling in the back of the bullpen?
14. Dan Otero – How good does it feel to be out of San Francisco?
15. Jarrod Parker – Any concern behind the lack of velocity exhibited in the ALDS?
16. Drew Pomeranz – In your own words, what happened in Colorado?
17. Nick Punto – As a salty veteran, what words of wisdom do you have for a struggling rookie?
18. Josh Reddick – What did you learn most from last season’s struggles?
19. Eric Sogard – Jokes aside, how annoying is it answering questions about your glasses?
20. Dan Straily – Why, oh why, did you throw a 2-2 fastball right down the middle to Jhonny Peralta? I’m still bitter.
21. Stephen Vogt – Despite the playoff heroics, is there a fear you won’t make the opening day roster?