Athletics Acquire RHP Deck McGuire from Blue Jays
By Jason Burke
Feb 25, 2014; Dunedin, FL, USA; Toronto Blue Jays starting pitcherDeck McGuire
(68) poses for a photo at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports
The Athletics have made another trade! This time, it’s for righty Deck McGuire for the Toronto Blue Jays.
The 25-year old righty has spent the last three and a half seasons in Double-A with the Blue Jays, before his call-up to the Triple-A team earlier this season. With Buffalo, McGuire has started 10 games and compiled a 3-5 record with a 5.56 ERA. In Double-A New Hampshire this season, also in 10 starts, McGuire held a 2.98 ERA.
More from Oakland A's Rumors
- Is there more to come for Oakland A’s this offseason?
- Oakland A’s have interest in Arizona Diamondbacks outfielders
- Oakland A’s rightly asking for king’s ransom for Sean Murphy
- 3 things to watch for during Winter Meetings for Oakland A’s
- Atlanta Braves surprising entrant in Sean Murphy Sweepstakes
Looking at Deck McGuire’s numbers, it appears that his big issue has been control. His K/BB ratio is 1.65, with his BB/9 standing at 3.8. Couple this with his HR/9 being at 2.0, and the case can be made he that he just needs to tinker with his delivery to become an effective pitcher.
The A’s are sending over cash considerations, but it is not known if it was more than the $1 the A’s paid for Brad Mills. Mills, funny enough was traded to the Blue Jays. He had a terrible outing against the Red Sox, and was subsequently DFA’d by the Jays. He has since cleared waivers and reported to Buffalo.
The A’s let Mills go for a healthy profit of $19,999. This could ultimately be what they’re trying to accomplish with McGuire.